What is the rate structure proposed under GST ?
Question : What is the rate structure proposed under GST ?
Answer : The Empowered Committee has decided to adopt a two-rate structure –a lower rate for necessary items and items of basic importance and a standard rate for goods in general. There will also be a special rate for precious metals and a list of exempted items. For upholding of special needs of each State as well as a balanced approach to federal flexibility, it is being discussed whether the exempted list under VAT regime including Goods of Local Importance may be retained in the exempted list under State GST in the initial years. It is also being discussed whether the Government of India may adopt, to begin with, a similar approach towards exempted list under the CGST.
For CGST relating to goods, the States considered that the Government of India might also have a two-rate structure, with conformity in the levels of rate with the SGST. For taxation of services, there may be a single rate for both CGST and SGST.
The exact value of the SGST and CGST rates, including the rate for services, will be made known duly in course of appropriate legislative actions.
- What is the justification of GST?
- What is GST? How does it work?
- How can the burden of tax, in general, fall under GST?
- How will GST benefit industry, trade and agriculture?
- How will GST benefit the exporters?
- How will GST benefit the small entrepreneurs and small traders?
- How will GST benefit the common consumers?
- What are the salient features of the proposed GST model?
- Why is Dual GST required?
- How would a particular transaction of goods and services be taxed simultaneously under Central GST (CGST) and State GST (SGST)?
- Which Central and State taxes are proposed to be subsumed under GST?
- What is the rate structure proposed under GST?
- What is the concept of providing threshold exemption for GST?
- What is the scope of composition and compounding scheme under GST?
- How will imports be taxed under GST?
- Will cross utilization of credits between goods and services be allowed under GST regime?
- How will be Inter-State Transactions of Goods and Services be taxed under GST in terms of IGST method?
- Why does introduction of GST require a Constitutional Amendment?
- How are the legislative steps being taken for CGST and SGST?
- How will the rules for administration of CGST and SGST be framed?