How will GST benefit the small entrepreneurs and small traders?
Question : How will GST benefit the small entrepreneurs and small traders?
Answer : The present threshold prescribed in different State VAT Acts below which VAT is not applicable varies from State to State. The existing threshold of goods under State VAT is Rs. 5 lakhs for a majority of bigger States and a lower threshold for North Eastern States and Special Category States. A uniform State GST threshold across States is desirable and, therefore, the Empowered Committee has recommended that a threshold of gross annual turnover of Rs. 10 lakh both for goods and services for all the States and Union Territories may be adopted with adequate compensation for the States (particularly, the States in North-Eastern Region and Special Category States) where lower threshold had prevailed in the VAT regime. Keeping in view the interest of small traders and small scale industries and to avoid dual control, the States considered that the threshold for Central GST for goods may be kept at Rs.1.5 crore and the threshold for services should also be appropriately high. This raising of threshold will protect the interest of small traders. A Composition scheme for small traders and businesses has also been envisaged under GST as will be detailed in Answer to Question 14. Both these features of GST will adequately protect the interests of small traders and small scale industries.
- What is the justification of GST?
- What is GST? How does it work?
- How can the burden of tax, in general, fall under GST?
- How will GST benefit industry, trade and agriculture?
- How will GST benefit the exporters?
- How will GST benefit the small entrepreneurs and small traders?
- How will GST benefit the common consumers?
- What are the salient features of the proposed GST model?
- Why is Dual GST required?
- How would a particular transaction of goods and services be taxed simultaneously under Central GST (CGST) and State GST (SGST)?
- Which Central and State taxes are proposed to be subsumed under GST?
- What is the rate structure proposed under GST?
- What is the concept of providing threshold exemption for GST?
- What is the scope of composition and compounding scheme under GST?
- How will imports be taxed under GST?
- Will cross utilization of credits between goods and services be allowed under GST regime?
- How will be Inter-State Transactions of Goods and Services be taxed under GST in terms of IGST method?
- Why does introduction of GST require a Constitutional Amendment?
- How are the legislative steps being taken for CGST and SGST?
- How will the rules for administration of CGST and SGST be framed?