How can the burden of tax, in general, fall under GST ?
Question : How can the burden of tax, in general, fall under GST ?
Answer : As already mentioned in Answer to Question 1, the present forms of CENVAT and State VAT have remained incomplete in removing fully the cascading burden of taxes already paid at earlier stages. Besides, there are several other taxes, which both the Central Government and the State Government levy on production, manufacture and distributive trade, where no set-off is available in the form of input tax credit. These taxes add to the cost of goods and services through “tax on tax” which the final consumer has to bear. Since, with the introduction of GST, all the cascading effects of CENVAT and service tax would be removed with a continuous chain of set-off from the producer’s point to the retailer’s point, other major Central and State taxes would be subsumed in GST and CST will also be phased out, the final net burden of tax on goods, under GST would, in general, fall. Since there would be a transparent and complete chain of set-offs,
this will help widening the coverage of tax base and improve tax compliance. This may lead to higher generation of revenues which may in turn lead to the possibility of lowering of average tax burden.
- What is the justification of GST?
- What is GST? How does it work?
- How can the burden of tax, in general, fall under GST?
- How will GST benefit industry, trade and agriculture?
- How will GST benefit the exporters?
- How will GST benefit the small entrepreneurs and small traders?
- How will GST benefit the common consumers?
- What are the salient features of the proposed GST model?
- Why is Dual GST required?
- How would a particular transaction of goods and services be taxed simultaneously under Central GST (CGST) and State GST (SGST)?
- Which Central and State taxes are proposed to be subsumed under GST?
- What is the rate structure proposed under GST?
- What is the concept of providing threshold exemption for GST?
- What is the scope of composition and compounding scheme under GST?
- How will imports be taxed under GST?
- Will cross utilization of credits between goods and services be allowed under GST regime?
- How will be Inter-State Transactions of Goods and Services be taxed under GST in terms of IGST method?
- Why does introduction of GST require a Constitutional Amendment?
- How are the legislative steps being taken for CGST and SGST?
- How will the rules for administration of CGST and SGST be framed?